Tuesday, December 20, 2011

On George Clooney's shirt and au naturel make-up


Today I received this fantastic Burberry shirt from Sarah at Edie Mac; she has fantastic memory as she'd remembered me featuring something similar in this 'Style Notes for the Guys' collage at the start of the year. Now I may spend my days drifting about feeling sexy like George Clooney in One Fine Day. Yeah!   

In news that seems in a way significant to the blog; I am now the owner of a Macbook Pro! Cue just about repressed shrieks on my behalf while my clammy hands tap away at a gloriously shiny new machine and I venture into the world of blogging from the Mac camp after 5 years on Team PC. The laptop is an early 21st birthday present from my super generous Granny-sort of apt seeing as how over the past 5 years she's been a bit of an honorary figure in the background of the blog; forever my cafe visiting comrade and all-round influencer.

For the last week I've stopped wearing mascara and it feels really good. The sans-mascara look is something I always thought was reserved for other people. I'd read profiles of people on Into The Gloss in which they'd profess their au naturel approach and I'd usually retort with a cynical wave of my hand "Bullshit, you're half-french and beautiful, of course you don't need to wear make up, but some of us aren't so lucky.." Well, that in turn is also bullshit and was all down to my own approach; toning things down make-up wise is liberating and I like that it's one less thing to think about in the morning that actually benefits me in that I no longer associate mascara as some kind of 'confidence tool'. In other words I don't feel 'naked' without it. Instead I'm extra dedicated to eyebrow brushing (yes, it's true, I brush my eyebrows in the morning with an old toothbrush..) and a bit of lipstick as my skin is always at it's palest and most in need of colour this time of year. After wearing my Mac in Morange more over the autumn, I've returned to my more punchy and faithful Chanel Rouge Allure in Passion which was my first ever red lippie and is just about holding out, with the tower of red a smidgen lower every time I twist it from it's fantastic gold case.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I speak for most of us when I say your Granny sounds like the COOLEST person. More for the cafe-visiting and inspiration-giving than the laptop, but that is also awesome! Enjoy, welcome to team Mac.

Chuck said...

I've had to cut back on mascara a lot in the last couple of months because it was irritating my eyes. Rather to my surprise I'm getting quite into it - no scrubbing your make up off at the end of the night! x

Anonymous said...

Sounds mad but I'd rather pop on a pair of false eyelashes than put layer upon layer of mascara on my stubby, weird lashes so I end up doing eyeliner instead to make my lash line look fuller. Into The Gloss is such a great website, I'd take anything said on there as gospel tbh! Great lipstick by the way :)


http://georgewt.blogspot.com/

Sophie Andersen said...

george cloonys shirt haha very nice outfit <3
http://sophie-andersen.blogspot.com/

Michelle Goldie said...

I could never go without mascara - good on you for being brave with makeup trends!

http://goldielondon.blogspot.com/2011/12/romee-strijdits-not-just-angelina-that.html

Isabel said...

Gahh, I want your beautiful blonde hair on my head.

Joy said...

you look really really good here. i love it. im going sans mascara too lately. i need some new ones b/c i hate it when my lashes stick together on the ends (top to bottom)