Monday, December 10, 2007

Advent Season: Day Ten

Everyone loves Chloe



Lazaro Hernandez, Jack McCollough and Chloe Sevigny. Together. At the same time? In the company of.
Christmas has come early! This is to me what...what Paris Hilton is to PR.
The Proenza guys interviewed her for the New York Times T magazine. Why?
"Chloë seems to be able to use fashion as a form of self expression while somehow making it look effortless. This sense of confidence and willingness to take risks is a fascinating quality that has somehow enabled her to become one of the most iconic personalities of our generation."


Hollywood has a way of stripping people of their “street-cred” rather quickly. You are a part of that system but have always remained completely yourself, which we think is why you seem to be an inspiration to many. How does one stay true to one’s self?
The opportunity to sell out — to cash out — especially these days, seems easier and easier. This causes me many sleepless nights. I feel like I have sold out so many times already, mostly doing campaigns or public appearances for ridiculous amounts of money. Sometimes it’s very hard to resist a paycheck for an afternoon’s work, which the average American would take a year to make, if that. I try to be as selective as possible, only working with companies I admire for one reason or another. I try to balance it with charity work — either through local organizations, or buying art, clothes from friends, etc.


Chloë, most of your decisions — whether they are your choices in projects or your choices in clothes — seem to stem from a desire to explore things from a very personal perspective and not necessarily to please the masses. Is this a conscious decision?
Making myself happy and not doing things for other people or because of what they’ll think is how I mostly make my choices. Some have not been so good, but learning to live with them has made me a stronger person. Do I sound like Ashlee Simpson?

What about fashion makes it so interesting to you? Is it another form of self-expression, of creating a character?
The huge amount of talent in fashion always blows my mind. There are so many perspectives and opinions. I find it limitless, and that’s what’s so fascinating. Plus, I love beautiful things.


If you weren’t acting or designing clothes what could you picture yourself doing?
I don’t think a career in fashion design is for me. I don’t have enough of an ego. Please don’t take offense. No one else answers for the clothes but you; there’s no one to blame. I like to hide behind a collaborative effort. Designing my new line I was going crazy always second-guessing myself — your confidence has to be extremely high. It’s also way too time consuming. Who wants to work that hard? Ha. Costume design is still something I think about doing all the time. I would have no problem switching careers right now if I could. But I don’t think other actresses would go for it, they’re way too competitive.

20 comments:

Héloïse J. said...

she's so stylish but unbearably antipathetic. and this quote: 'It’s also way too time consuming. Who wants to work that hard? Ha.' i hate people being provocative.Another 'doing nothing' celeb fashionista.

Bojana said...

She looks good in those pictures you posted.

I know she doesn't wat to dress to please others, but sometimes fugly is just fugly.

riz said...

Chloe is so rockin! I think people became so intrigued by her because she is so awkward looking. I love the first dress she is wearing...She seems to have alove-hate thing with fashion...

Mónica said...

It's nice to hear a celeb saying "I don't think a career in fashion design is for me". Thanks GOD! Because I am fed up with all this celebs (Kylie, Madonna, Penélope Cruz, K. Moss...) becoming "designers"!

Chelsea Rae said...

I love Chloë's style, but I don't always agree with the things she wears (if that makes sense). Its her indifference towards what others think of her outfits that's inspiring. She doesn't dress for others and not many people can do that.

I also giggled when she asked if she sounded like Ashlee Simpson, becasue that sentence could have totally been an Ashlee quote!

Lana said...

This is now a woman with her own style! No-one else could dress like her, I think!

And being effortless is very difficult to pull of.

Nice post!

Unknown said...

'plus i love beautiful things'- so simple, a lifelong preoccupation explained!

i love chloe, cos shes not like all those other lobsters and whatever she wears, she proves it

good things come in chloes!

ps. she sounds a little more self-concious than you'd expect no? she seemed like such a ballbuster!

Ellie Lee said...

love her personality!! she's so grounded and of course!! love the flower print skirt she's wearing with ther benjamin cho tote!!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Chloe is great, so daring, so different, so great. It's funny, I think she is known better for her style than her acting career. And that might be affected by her noncompetitive nature.

Jo said...

she has a very unique style! I admire her individuality, and the fact that she is not a fashion victim!

Michelle said...

Yaaay Chloe! I adore this woman,whatever she wears she is never boring. The fact that she dress for herself, not just for the media makes her extra special. God, I'm gushing now.

Ella Gregory said...

I LOVE CHLOE
though obviously not as much as you
she should hire you to do her press

the proenza guys+chloe=a fashion addicts dream!!!

Great post and I love seeing past pics of her, it always inspires me!

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Chloe will always have my love as a celeb whose style I admire, for much the same reason as Kirsten Dunst- she isn't just a great dresser with fantastic individual style, she's also a highly talented actress when she turns her efforts in that direction. She was wonderful in Kids, Boys Don't Cry et al.

María said...

Go Chloë! You are the queen of our fashion reign lol.

Kendra said...

Chloë never stops impressing me with her inovative style.
It's funny she should say that she would never be a fashion designer though because she's alot more well known for her style then anything shes done in her acting career.

la petite fashionista said...

great interview.. i love those schouler boys<3 chloe sevigny has such a unique style and pulls off outfits other people could never accomplish.
xoxo

cotton candy said...

i love chloe. i think she's got a great sense of style and she's definitely one of those people who i look out for.

A. said...

you've really got me hooked on her now, doll ;]

im quite obsessed. she might be a new fashion icon for me. *immediately searches her on google & saves as many photos as possible for fashion inspiration*

damn, i just wish i could have snatched up a piece or two from her opening ceremony line.

oh well, theres always ebay...

XO

we could grow up 2gether said...

if i were a gal, i wanna be her. wait, should it be sarah jessica?

ineedmoredrama said...

this is a great interview...i like that she is honest about selling out, and how she handles such situations. i may not always like her style, but i find her intriguing and i definitely admire her for sticking to her choices and not dressing for others.