Tuesday, January 08, 2008

'Tis The Season of New Ad Campaigns


So Jennifer Connelly is the face of Balenciaga for SS08, which is hardly a surprise, is it?

The refreshing Spring feel, is certainly welcome, though I thought last season's campaign with Suvi K was rather lovely, with the dark familiar backdrop of wooden floorboards and persian rugs which made me nostaligic for a trip to a grandparent's attic.


Though the new SS08 ad is a nice contrast. To be honest, I'm feel a little indecisive when it comes to making up my mind about new ad campaigns, because I love to see new ones so much that I see the pictures through rose tinted glasses...


Also just released, is the Versace SS08 men's advert starring Patrick Dempsey. I feel it is a little of a "safe" move for Versace to pick "McDreamy", like they're trading on the "women want to be with him, men want to be him." formula. Sure, he scrubs up well, but to me, the advert, shot by Testino, simply looks like an ELLE shoot on a particularly good day. And Testino? With all due respect, isn't he mostly hired by Wintour and Shulman these days? Balenciaga on the other hand went for David Sims.







sources: popcrunch, frillr and justjared

16 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Hmm, the Balenciaga ads are strange. Unique and eyecatching... but strange.

And am enjoying the Patrick Dempsey ads.... yum. But I agree - safe move.

Héloïse J. said...

previous Balenciaga ads were so much inspirational. although i'm wearing the same 'rose tinted glasses' (!!)i cannot say i like these ones. +i'm not really surprised about conelly being the face. she was many times related with this maison in the runnng season.

Mash said...

I don't like so much the new Balenciga campaign it's kinda boring for me :( I prefer the old one :) did you receive my email ?

WendyB said...

I like the Balenciaga ads. There's kind of a floral Frankenstein look going.

Miss at la Playa said...

that explains why Jennifer wore that balenciaga dress...

she looks lovely! :)

Anonymous said...

I prefer the ads last season.... but Jennifer Connelly is doing that dress justice!

Soul Tanggg said...

i'm just not too crazy about Balenciaga SS'08. I think I had such high expectations because F/W was AMAZING.

you can't win every season, though.

Anonymous said...

actually, i am surprised.

but then again, i was surprised the first time i saw 'the crying game'

balenciaga's ads inspire me to let my eyebrows go.
;)

Ella Gregory said...

Jennifer really works that dress with the confidence it needs to look good
McDreamy is working the suit but the concept of the ad isn't very exciting, the white background is a tad too 'blah'
x x x x x

emsie said...

I really like the new balenciaga ad - it seems quite understated, but very beautiful.

Michelle said...

Hahaha I laughed so much at the Patrick Dempsey remark, "McDreamy" indeed! :D

Tinsley said...

Both ads were definite disappointments for me :(
The balenciaga ads just look so plain. i do love jennifer but... well we have models for a reason :(

and the versace mens ad? oh no, what about gaspard ulliel? orlando bloom? james franco

although i do love greys anatomy :)

Lana said...

Those Balenciaga pictures look very refreshing! The dresses are being the centre of the picture, which I like :).

Mónica said...

I love Patrick D. in that Versace suit, he looks so cool!

riz said...

Ok sorry but I do not get the hype over Dempsey. But then again I don't watch ER...

riz said...

Ahh Grey's Anatomy!