Friday, November 14, 2008

embracing the anti face

and the internet buzzes with rumours that pamela anderson shall be vivienne westwood's face come spring 09. everybody's favourite "lifeguard" will be starring in Dame Viv's Spring 09 adverts which, according to the word on the street, were shot in a trailer park.
You could tell they were up to something.

I think this sounds fantastic and actually, for all the 30 second marriages and boobage, I'm not afraid to admit that I absolutely love Pamela Anderson and actually think that she's a rather good role model. for starters, she's a advocate for animal rights and is constantly involved with PETA's latest campaigns. Her work is this area isn't half arsed either, as she has written numourous letters and publicly campaigned, sticking to her guns unlike some other people I can think of who publicise their anti-fur views only to go back on their "morals" when they're offered a free fur. Anyone who has seen Pamela Anderson interviewed would probably agree that she seems like a very cool and down to earth person, in fact the type who would fall into the "person i'd love to spend the day hanging out with" category. And of course she seems like a great Mum; she seems to actually hang out with her kids rather than employing other people to do it.
So to conclude, I think this is a fantastic choice of face for a Vivienne Westwood campaign. The choice of an 'anti-icon' or at least somebody who isn't instantly associated with high fashion (though Pam is a huge fan of Stella McCartney) is always an interesting route to go down, take Marc Jacobs who always chooses interesting stars for his campaigns, even if they're not typically beautiful, popular or an obvious choice.

let's wait and see.
pic; nymag

11 comments:

Gerry said...

While I do think that Pam is a great person/celebrity, I'm always confused when designers choose celebrities whose styles don't mesh with their own. Vivienne Westwood is many things and sexual is definitely one of the, but I've never felt like it was a brash, fake boob kind of sexuality... it was always a little more tongue in cheek, like, "Heh, I'm naked apart from this leaf" kind of sexuality. Either, she's a better choice than many others I can think of...

Siru said...

Pam is a lot of fun, attitude, blond hair and ....

But I can't wait to see if that happens, it would be strait up on my inspiration "wall"

juliet xxx

WendyB said...

Pam's face is starting to look like her liver must...

ryan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beba said...

exactly!!!! following jacobs' spirit! i luv the idea! cant wait to see the result (:

Unknown said...

Actually, that sounds quite fantastic. She IS cool.

A. said...

bollocks! it should have been ro-sheeen.

but thats stating quite the obvious coming from me. hee.

i just see this in my head over & over;
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2962/efwestwood240jr2.jpg

perfection!

hope your weekends off to a lovely start. hear from you soon! xxx

elysia mann said...

this would be great. it would be fresh, different, striking, fun, and very viv! i hope it happens.

Fashion Tidbits said...

can't wait to see..

Michelle said...

I can really see her pulling off Westwood now that you mention it, she's got the body for it. I'm looking foward to this..

ontheballhall said...

I've really begun to love Miss Pam. I have learned to embrace her and love her for being so ridiculous. But I do love her animal rights activism and she's a Canadian!