Wednesday, July 06, 2011

blondes

Blondes having fun. Not 'more fun' per se, but fun all the same. The little niggle at the back of my head is live and kicking and it says 'this summer, I want to be a blonde.' Who am I to ignore it? Well, a cash strapped student who cannot afford a professional bleach job. Before I was born my Dad was a hairdresser. (He actually competed in a competition but alas was beaten by.. Charles Worthington!) Although he now spends his days in suits instead of behind a chair with a scissors and comb finely balanced between fingers. I find myself pondering the possibility of the two of us dusting off his terrifying old rubber highlighting cap and dipping our toes back into the water of at-home hairdressing. I didn't go to the hairdressers until I was about 13 because a seat in front of a television or in the middle of the field by our caravan (no need for hoovering hair) was where my strands used to live their final moments. Advocates for being blonde include: Kasia Struss, Jerry Hall sliding backwards down stairs (naturally), Daryl Hannah in Splash!, Julie Christie, Racqel Zimmerman, long haired surfer chicks and Lara Stone. "....Daaad?.."

4 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I have this internal argument at least once every 4-6 months.

Anonymous said...

You should do it!! I used to be bleach white blonde but because of the damage and the fact that my hair is almost black, it was too damaging to my hair to keep it up. My advice is to bleach in two stages and not to go white blonde. also loreal force vector is the best conditioner for damaged hair.

Anonymous said...

Love the post and all you've said about your dad. I'm sure it would look great on you, and I'd add to that list ChloƩ Sevigny :)

Lily said...

Must admit that I'm a hard core brunette faithful, but this mood board is swaying me to turn to the other side...