Monday, February 04, 2008

Dressed To Kill


Kirsten Dunst, Bruce Willis, James McAvoy

Whilst Vogue continues and continues to fail to come up with the goods, at least one issue a year, Vanity Fair can guaratee an issue packed with splendor and glitz for us to bury our noses into, in the form of the Hollywood Issue.


The best feature is surely the murder mystery style editorial, taking the concept of an old film noir screenplay, and bringing together some of the cream of hollywood to play femme fetales and murdered spies. With Jennifer Connely, Kirsten Dunst, and Julianne Moore featuring, I'm in.


As much as I favour the more modest yet nonetheless genius POP magazine shoots, it's nice to get a taste high drama and high production every now and then.

Yes, and that is Rinko Kikuchi you spy. (In the second picture.) Remember this time last year when she seemed equally as promising and exciting as Clemence Poesy? Maybe this year she can catch up and excite again.


The spread created by (naturally) Annie Leibovitz and Michael Roberts.


Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren



Rinko Kikuchi, Abigail Breslin, Bill Nighy, Penelope Cruz, Ben Affleck


Naomi Watts, Peter O'Toole


James McAvoy, Jennifer Hudson, Jessica Yawn Biel, Kerry Washington, Amy Adams, Rachel Evan Woos and some other randoms.


Ellen Page, Emily Blunt, America Ferrera, Ginnifer Goodwin et al.

And the cover? Quite clearly sastel never looked so good and that's because this is Dior.

If you fancy some "It's-such-an-honour-I've-read-the-VF-Hollywood-Issues since-I-was-this-big!.." gushing, then click here for the behind the scenes video for the cover shoot.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/video/2008/cover_video200803

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, I love thew 2nd to last shot.

Anonymous said...

ooo it was gorgeous last year

this year isn't as exciting, but still great pastels

Unknown said...

haha i just saw this on the forum! Jessica Biel is not a poplular lass is she? ack. it feels like each frame is from an actual movie the actors were in- kirsten from spiderman, naomi from 21grams, jennifer hudson from dreamgirls...or im just very unimaginative!

no wonder, i just saw speidi's music vid XP

Anonymous said...

hey stevie... I'm Australian! I own a boutique with heaps of up&coming Australian designers... & in my down time I thought I'd start a blog.. It's so addictive! HA. I'd be happy to send you copies of Russh mag too if you can't find it over where you are...

WendyB said...

I love Rinko!

Kendra said...

What gorgeous photos!
Love the second one with Kate Winslet and Helen Mirren.
The whole shoot just oozes old Hollywood glamour.

riz said...

Oh, I quite like this spread, and yeah I totally wouldn't have recognized Rinko...

Anonymous said...

Must make this my ONE issue of Vanity Fair that I buy then...

discotheque confusion said...

ohh, deexdeex, I just saw the Hiedi video!

Oh oh oh...

but you've got to love the home video angles!

and hello there Kirsty, you know, I might have to take you up on that offer! That's very kind of you. And in return I could send you something from over here that you might not be able to get hold of.

There doesn't seem to be a link to your blog though, which is a shame!

A. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A. said...

i love emily blunt!

& about peaches - i guess its the whole american culture thing bc i am quite positive that barely any girls here even know who she is and therefore, it has that cool factor.

im sure if i lived in the uk id be sick of her as well. hehe.

how are you? its been too long! email me soon, darling...

x

María said...

Vanity Fair and Leibovitz always do great things together, and this is no exception.

Why do they always disguise Penélope as if she was an Italian woman from the 50's? I don't get it.

PS,I vote for you too ;)

Mimi said...

love those pics..

Bojana said...

What a great editorial, it almost looks like a big movie production!

The quality of the photos is so amazing, it should be illegal. :D

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

That is a gorgeous editorial. Maybe Vogue will get a tip or two...

Andrea Martínez Maugard said...

That cover is very clean! I wish that Sienna could be on it too

alluretone said...

lovely editorial! mm james mcavoy :) i love ellen page- she's so gorgeous and juno was amazing.

hehe at the jessical yawn biel.

Luciana Flammini said...

That's a beautiful spread!

Michelle said...

I esp love the first picture, the composition is amazing and there's nothing better than a Film Noir Kirsten Dunst!

Ali said...

rinko kikuchi is completely my new favourite. she was so good in babel...
and im thrilled that emily blunt was in it as well. vanity fair has a knack for choosing up&comers well(usually).xo

Savannah Rae said...

Loveee this, an awesome bloggette. You're under our "Haute Pics" section on team trenchcoat <3.

Kenny Surtani said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
hannah said...

i love this. now i must go out and buy this issue. they always come out with great stuff for the hollywood edition. magnificent.

peace

Julia said...

I'm so over everyone making J.Hudson into the singer in photos. I say it's time to recast her.

But the issue looks very proposing and will be on my to read list...once my to do list is cleared.

Charlotte said...

It's so strange, seeing modern people in this old poses! I'm a great fan of nostalgia things...and these pictures are perfect!

AlicePleasance said...

Oh, those pictures are wonderful! I want this issue of Vanity Fair!!! I live in a small town in Italy and I'm wonering where I could find it!!

Daphné said...

Those pictures are wonderful!,so inspirationnal.I especially love the first one!

Nicole Then said...

really nice pictures! oh and i love strawberry blonde but I don't think i'll suit it at all. haha

Alya said...

WOW! Amazing! I think this may be Lebowitz's best work yet. I have to buy the issue and store it forever!

Lauren said...

those photos are really cool!

and im in love with the cover - its delish! GORGEOUS, plus i like everyone whos on it

grenadine said...

Have you seen this year's Hollywood photo shoot? I just posted it in my blog and it definitely rivals this noir shoot. They went all Hitchcock this year. I love all VF Hollywood shoots! :)

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Love Rinko, Kirsten and Kate- I definitely want a look at this lot!